6Here’s a summary of our 2015 Youth Pheasant Hunt completed on Saturday Oct 17th.
- We had a total of 11 youths sign up for the event and 9 showed up for the day of the hunt (the others may have been discouraged by the weather Saturday morning).
- Our event started Friday evening with a shotgun handling lesson and target practice shooting at clays until dark. We then moved into the clubhouse and went over ground rules for the hunt and had a safety and wildlife management talk by Officer John McKellop of the PA Game Commission.
- The hunt was held on Saturday morning at a few different area properties. Hunters were broken down into small groups and assigned to a volunteer dog handler for the morning. The youth hunters had a very good morning. 8 out of 9 hunters harvested at least 1-bird on the day. A few were able to harvest a limit of pheasants.
- Overall, the program was a great success once again. The hunters had an opportunity to learn about hunting pheasants and working with dogs. They all demonstrated safe hunting practices and had fun while enduring cold and wet conditions. Based on what I saw that day, we have some real fine up and coming hunters joining our ranks.
- I’d like to recognize our volunteer dog handlers for the event: Al Hudock, Bob Bush, Denny Lyons, Scott Kerr, and Gary Glunt. The handlers and their dogs did a great job!!
- Thanks to the Club for sponsoring the purchase of a few extra birds and for the use of the clubhouse facility.
Rob Schriner (Youth Pheasant Hunt Coordinator)